Monday, June 1, 2009

Passion for Obento


My daughter goes to Japanese kindergarten (in Japan). This means I have to make her lunch every morning. I can't just put a sandwich in a paper bag - that just wouldn't cut it. She needs to fit in here, so that means I must make obento - japanese lunch box.

The most important ingredient in a kid's obento is ..... LOVE. Yep. (hear the violin?)

After making obento for a good 6 months now, I have decided it is pretty easy to do. I make sure I leave some small portions of dinner from the night before. I make sure I have a hard boiled egg in the fridge. I make sure I have some sort of raw vegetable that my child eats without argument. I make sure I put rice into the rice cooker before I go to bed.

Somethings that work well in a child's obento:
boiled or sauteed pumpkin or fried butternut squash
hard boiled egg
whole cherry tomatoes
little bits of lettuce to separate foods and add color
chunks of cucumber
chunks of boiled carrot
left over spaghetti
mini sausages
nori
fruit for dessert



When I wake up in the morning I slap some rice into the bento box or if I am feeling really ambitious I roll two rice balls and coat them with nori or furikake (nori and seasoning flakes).
I put a spoonful of various leftovers into the little portion cups or mini muffin papers. In the bento pictured above there is some cooked pumpkin, bolognaise sauce (just tomatoes and meat), rolled pieces of ham, 2 boiled carrots in the shape of a dog and a penguin, under the ham is a hard boiled egg, lettuce for garnish but my daughter likes to eat it anyway, and little dog-shaped nori on the rice. Dessert is a chunk of banana and a few raisins.

Presentation is important. Kids like to eat food that looks appealing and appealing to a kid means cute. cute cute cute. The cuter the better. But be sure not to go over the top on cuteness or your little one will expect that everyday!

My daughter's obento is wrapped in a flower hankie, with chopsticks on top, inside her pink bento bag along with her place mat.

3 comments:

  1. Adorable and so healthy! Americans could take a lesson from this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bentos are really not that cute although I do believe they are tasty. Re: the cuteness factor, recently Sophie was telling me about the bentos that other kids take on school outings and how the other moms had gone to great pains in making "nori art" on each rice ball. Elaborate designs cut laboriously out of crumbling nori sheets were stuck to lovingly prepared rice balls. Sophie said that, while it was delicious, her mound of rice with a generous portion of takana crammed in beside it just didn't cut it! (There were other "okazu" in the other section of her 2-level bento box, but our discussion was about the rice.) So last week for her field trip, she asked me to wake her up early when I was making her bento, and SHE carefully made her own rice balls and painstakingly cut out happy faces and winking eyes, etc. to stick on the rice. When I asked how her bento stacked up to everyone else's, she proudly said that EVERYONE oohed and aaahed over her artful rice. So now everyone is happy! Sophie got her decorated rice balls and also the glory that went with making them herself, and Mommy had less work to do to get the bento together! Win-win...

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! sophie is brilliant (and you even moreso for getting her to make her own obento!)

    ReplyDelete